Site Index A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P R S T U V W

Receiving Credit for Military Service

Military Transcripts
Some of your military experience may be applied toward credit for a degree. In order to receive credit, you must submit transcript(s) for your branch of the military. Use the links below to view transcript submission information for your branch of the Armed Forces.

Air Force
The Air Force uses the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript for documenting military training and experience, coursework and DANTES exams worthy of academic credit. For more information, visit the CCAF Web site.


Army and Army National Guard
The Army uses the Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript Service (AARTS) for documenting military training for academic credit purposes. For more information, visit the AARTS home page.


Coast Guard
The Coast Guard uses the Coast Guard Transcript for documenting all training worthy of academic credit.

Before you may request a Coast Guard transcript, you must first have completed a Coast Guard Institute (CGI) Form 1560/04e, Educational Assessment Worksheet.
A copy of this form is available here. Once at the site, click on "Military Credit Evaluation Worksheet."

If you've previously completed an educational assessment worksheet, then you can request a Coast Guard transcript by filling out the CGI Form 1560/09, also available from the above Website. Click on "Official US Coast Guard Transcript Request".

Mail the form to:
USCG Institute (VE)
5900 SW 64th Street
Room 235
Oklahoma City, OK 73169-6990

Designate that the official Coast Guard Transcript be mailed to:
Stark State College
6200 Frank Avenue NW
North Canton, Ohio 44720


Marine Corps and Navy
For active duty personnel and for those who have separated or retired from service after Oct. 1, 1999, the Navy and Marine branches use the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART) for documenting military training and experience, coursework and DANTES exams that may transfer into your program. For more options and information, click here and download the SMART request form.

If you are not active, or have separated or retired from service prior to Oct. 1, 1999, you must submit your DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or a DD Form 295, Application for Evaluation of Learning Experiences during U.S. Military Service, to obtain credit for your military training.


Other Resources

The General Educational Development (GED) Testing Service (GEDTS) maintains all records of GED transcripts obtained by active duty US military personnel tested after October 1, 1985, and by US military personnel and dependents tested overseas after September 1974 under the Defense Activity for Nontraditional Educational Support (DANTES) program. GEDTS also maintains records of GED Tests taken at the Veterans Medical Centers after October 1, 1989. To obtain an official copy of the GED transcript, users should complete the GED Transcript Request form and submit it to:

    GED Testing Service
    One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 250
    Washington, DC  20036
    Phone: 1-800-626-9433 or 202-930-9400
    Fax: 202-659-8875

DANTES maintains the educational records of the service members who have completed DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTs), CLEP examinations, GED, and United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) tests. For more information, visit the DANTES website.

For tests and courses taken under the auspices of USAFI before September 1974, please contact Thomson Prometric at:

    Thomson Prometric
    USAFI Records
    P.O. Box 6605
    Princeton, NJ 08541-6605
    Phone: 609-895-5011
    Toll-free: 877-471-9860
    Fax: 609-895-5026

There is no charge for transcripts sent to military Test Control Officers (TCOs) for counseling purposes.