Veterans' Student Services
- Receiving Credit for Military Service
- Veterans Educational Benefit Guide
- $50,000 in ShaleNet Scholarships
How to Apply for Veterans' Benefits
Stark State College strives to honor the service and sacrifice of our veterans. The College is fully-accredited under the laws that provide educational benefits for veterans. The Academic/Registrar’s Office certifies veterans’ eligibility and assists new and continuing student veterans with the processing of VA forms for educational benefits.
To receive benefits, you must:
- Apply for admission to the College by following the instructions at www.starkstate.edu/admissions. You can apply online, by mail or in person at the Academic Records/Registrar’s Office.
- Once you are notified of your admission to the College, contact the Veteran’s Certifying Official in the Academic Records/Registrar’s Office to proceed:
330-494-6170, Ext. 4254
Hours: Available for one-on-one benefit counseling
Mondays, 8 - 11:30 a.m.
Tuesdays, 12:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesdays, 11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Thursday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Fridays, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- The Veterans' Certifying Official will provide guidance in preparing your Application for VA Education Benefits for submission to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Additional information regarding educational benefits is available at: www.va.gov
- In an effort to assist veterans, servicemembers and their families with reducing the costs associated with obtaining a college degree, the state of Ohio spearheaded an initiative known as the Ohio GI Promise. Details about the Ohio GI Promise can be found at the University System of Ohio website. If you would like to see if you meet the qualifications for in-state tuition rates please complete the residency reclassification application and return it to the Registrar's office with the appropriate required supporting documentation.
Receiving Credit for Military Service
- Some of your military experience may be applied toward credit for a degree. In order to receive credit, you must submit transcript(s) for your branch of the military. For more information click here.
Helpful Web Sites
You may obtain a copy of your military transcript at the following websites:
AARTS (Army, National Guard) transcript: http://aarts.army.mil/
Air Force Transcript: http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp
U.S. Coast Guard transcript: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cgi/active_duty/go_to_college/official_transcript.asp
Sailor/Marine American Council on education Registry Transcript-SMART:
You can request a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty Form (DD-214) - www.archives.gov
Don’t have a computer? You can make your request by mail:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Phone (314) 801-0800
Additional Scholarships/Financial Aid Opportunities
Scholarships and grants exclusively for the military community www.military.com
Ohio National Guard Scholarship - provides tuition assistance to qualified members www.ongsp.org
Veterans Club of Stark State College
Goal/Description: To allow and encourage veterans and their family members to develop educationally and socially, gain organizational and leadership skills and learn more about the community involving the veterans through personal interaction.
• ADVISOR: Ben Tobias (email@example.com) Room B230; 330-0494-6170, Ext. 4173